Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jesus, the Incarnate "I Am"

• Jesus' controversial statement

  • "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"  (John 8:58)

• God's Name in context

  • God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'  (Ex 3:14)

• "I am" statements:

  • "I am the Bread of Life" (John 6:32-58)
  • "I am the Light of the World" (John 8:12)
  • "I am the Gate for the Sheep" (John 10:7-10)
  • "I am the Good Shepherd" (John 10:11-16)
  • "I am the Resurrection and the Life" (John 11:25)
  • "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:1-7)
  • "I am the True Vine" (John 15:1-6)

• Other "I am" Sayings

  • "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am." (John 13:13)
  • "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." (John 18:37)
  • The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."  Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he."  (John 4:25-26)

• Jesus the Messiah

  • When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"  They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."  "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"  Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."  Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven."  (Mat 16:13-17)
  • But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Mark 14:61-62)
  • "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins."  "Who are you?" they asked. "Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied.   "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world."  They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father.  So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me." (John 8:25-28)

OLD TESTAMENT IN THE NEW

  • Psa 23 - The Lord is my shepherd / John 10:11 - "I am the good shepherd."
  • Ex 15:26 - "I am the Lord, who heals you." / Mt 8:16-17 - … healed all the sick… "took up our infirmities and carried our diseases"
  • Ex 17:15 - The Lord is my banner. / John 12:32 - "when I am lifted up… will draw all men unto me."
  • Jer 23:6 - The LORD our righteousness / 2 Cor 5:21 - "in him we might become the righteousness of God…"
  • Gen 22:14 - The Lord will provide (a sacrifice) / John 1:29 - the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world…
  • Psalm 38:22 - The Lord is salvation / Matthew 1:21 - "You are to name him Jesus (the Lord saves), for he will save his people from their sins."

• Jesus unchanging

  • Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.  (Heb 13:8)
  • "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." (Rev 1:8)
  • "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." (Rev 22:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment