Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Bible: Out of Darkness into Light

INTRODUCTION

Based on the miniseries "The Bible" we have explored together -- in corporate worship, in our viewing gathering, even in our own private times of prayer and devotion -- many of the stories that have shaped us. Over the last month, we have seen revealed in some of these stories how salvation in Jesus Christ leads us:

  • From death to life
  • From slavery to freedom
  • From victims to victors
  • From religion to relationship

Today we reach the peak, the summit, the pinnacle toward which all those stories point.

Jesus told the Jewish leaders, "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!" (John 5:39)

On the road to Emmaus, "Jesus took them (two of his followers) through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself." (Luke 24:27)

TRANSITION TO THIS WEEK'S THEME

Jesus' arrest, trial, and crucifixion took His friends and followers by surprise. They had seen Him heal people, walk on water, and even raise the dead. Yet just days after He had entered the city as a holy King and cleansed the temple as a prophet, He was arrested, tried, convicted, and executed as a criminal. With that, in Matthew's words, "darkness fell across the whole land" (Matthew 27:45b) and over them -- over their hearts and minds and spirits.

Maybe you have felt that way, too. You might even feel that way today, or you might know someone who does. If that is the case, I want you to know that there is hope.

We're going to focus on three short scenes found in John 20, to see three aspects of this "great salvation" we've been exploring in this series in light of Jesus' resurrection from the dead. The first aspect, or facet, of salvation is this:

1. We are saved from the darkness of confusion and given a new commission.

  • (read John 20:1-18)
  • That first Easter was a confusing morning for Mary. First, she had to be grief-stricken. Then she finds the tomb empty. Then she meets two angels but may not have realized they were angels! Then she sees Jesus, but at first doesn't recognize Him! She thinks He's the gardener!
  • But Jesus calls her by name, and her confusion disappears into excitement and joy. And she is given a commission ("Go and tell…"). She becomes the first evangelist of the resurrection in Christian history.
  • So it is with me and with you. We may be confused about many this, but if you have invited the risen Christ into your heart and life, many things become clear. ("What is the meaning of life?," "What is my purpose?," "How did we get here?", etc.)
  • And, like Mary, the soul that has trusted Christ is given the same commission: to spread the news of the risen Christ.
  • Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

2. We are saved from the darkness of fear and given a new peace and presence.

  • (read John 20:19-23)
  • Why were the disciples behind locked doors? (v. 19 - "for fear") -- Peter, who walked on water; James, one of the "sons of thunder"; John, who stayed by the cross until the bitter end
  • But Jesus greets them -- "Peace be with you." -- and then breathed new life into them. He banished their fear with his peace and the constant presence of the Holy Spirit.
  • So it is with me and with you. Are you afraid today? Of what? (Of rejection? Of abandonment? Of persecution? Of financial ruin? Of national/global unrest? Of death?) You don't have to be. The peace and presence of Jesus in your heart banishes fear. The Bible says that "perfect love expels all fear (1 John 4:18b)," and that "God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7)."
  • Hebrews 2:14-15 Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying.

3. We are saved from the darkness of doubt and given a new beginning.

  • (Read John 20:24-29)
  • Thomas, who wasn't in the room when Jesus appeared to the others, confessed his doubt. He wanted more than his friends' words before he believed. And the risen Christ appeared and removed all doubt.
  • Notice that Thomas had vowed not to believe until he touch Jesus' hands and side. But when Jesus appeared and invited him to do so, he apparently changed his mind. The sight of Jesus was enough.
  • Everything changed. (reference stories of healing of beggar outside the temple, John & Peter uncowed by Caiaphas, Stephen willing to die, etc).

4. We are rescued from the kingdom of darkness and transferred into the Kingdom of His dear son.

  • Colossians 1:13-14 For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
  • 1 Peter 2:9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
  • Matthew 4:16 "The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light. And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined.
  • John 1:1-5 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
  • John 8:12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
  • John 12:44-48 Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken."

APPLICATION

I pray that your eyes will be opened to the risen Christ today, right now -- that you will "stop doubting and believe." That you will find the fullness of His salvation in having your confusion disappear, your fear banished, your doubt removed.

SALVATION PRAYER

Heavenly Father,

I am coming to You in the Name of Jesus, Your Son. You said in Your Word that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved. I am calling on His Name right now. I believe that Jesus died for my sins when He died on the cross, that He was raised from the dead on the third day, and that He is alive right now. I ask You right now to come into my heart and live in me. I repent of my sins and ask you to forgive me in Jesus’ name. I receive Your forgiveness, and right now I confess Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I will give my life over to Him and serve Him all of my days. Thank You for loving me so very much!

In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment