Sunday, October 13, 2013

The City of Refuge


Psalm 61:1-4 O God, listen to my cry!  Hear my prayer!  From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed.  Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.  Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!  (see also Psalm 91) 

City of Refuge (Joshua 20) 

  • Romans 8:1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 
  • 2 Corinthians 5:17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 
  • 2 Corinthians 5:21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ. 

Being "in Christ" includes being part of the church 

  • Ezekiel 34:11-16 “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search and find my sheep. I will be like a shepherd looking for his scattered flock. I will find my sheep and rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on that dark and cloudy day. I will bring them back home to their own land of Israel from among the peoples and nations. I will feed them on the mountains of Israel and by the rivers and in all the places where people live. Yes, I will give them good pastureland on the high hills of Israel. There they will lie down in pleasant places and feed in the lush pastures of the hills. I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign Lord. I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak. But I will destroy those who are fat and powerful. I will feed them, yes—feed them justice!" 
  • John 17:15 "I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one."
  • Ephesians 1:22-23 God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself. 
  • Ephesians 4:15-16 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love. 
  • The church is not a place, nor a day and time.  It is the ekklesia; the assembly of the "called-out" ones.  It is the collective body of believers, anytime and anywhere two or more come together.  Jesus said, "For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” (Matthew 18:20)

So, why don't people go to church? 

Don't fear others; don't give others a reason to not feel safe.

  • Proverbs 29:25 Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety. 
  • Ephesians 5:3-9 Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him. Don’t participate in the things these people do. For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light! For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true. 
  • Galatians 5:19-26  When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.  But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.  Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.  Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another. 
  • Mark 7:20-23 And then he (Jesus) added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you.  For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness.  All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.” 

City on a Hill (Matthew 5:14) 
 "You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden." ~ Jesus 

  • Church needs to be a safe environment; whether when gathering together on Sundays, or through the rest of the week; online and off; in groups, or one-to-one. 
  • Ask yourself: Do I feel safe where I am in my spiritual walk?  Am I making others feel safe?

No comments:

Post a Comment