Sunday, January 18, 2015

He is All I Need - The Names of God

HE IS ALL I NEED ~ The Names of God
Pastor Shelly Grabowski

We come to understand people by their names and titles.

David, the man after God's heart, is better understood by a study of his various names or titles. Knowing that David is described as a shepherd, warrior, king, poet and musician helps us understand his character and gives us insight into David the man. He was the son of Jesse and a great grandson of Boaz. David was from the line of Judah, the royal line from which many of Israel's kings came and from which Jesus Christ was born.

The many hats of me – wife, mother, daughter, sister, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, aunt, niece, pastor, friend, activity director, board member, assistant treasurer, etc… Each name helps to define me – they each speak to a different part of my personhood.  Each one meets a need – although in truth, none of them meet every need of anyone!  In a similar way, studying God's names reveals His character to us more intimately.

A second reason for studying the names of is in order to understand the different relationships we can have with Him.

Josh may have called Anna his “sweetheart,” but almost a year ago when they married she became his wife. Before, she was Anna Rose Nelson, but now she is Anna Rose Peart.  Her new name told everyone that she was now married.  That she and Josh had taken their relationship to a new level – they were now in covenant.  Likewise, the names of God become meaningful as we change and grow in our relationship with Him.

A third reason for studying the names of God is that through His names God reveals that He is our source and the solution to our problems.

Lastly, the many names of God teach us to direct our gaze at Him in times of trouble…  We know that just because we are Christians we are certainly not immune to problems—salvation doesn’t solve them all. God allows people to have problems for a number of reasons. Sometimes He wants to test us, to see if we will handle problems by faith or in our own strength. At other times He allows problems to overwhelm us so we will turn to Him.

Let’s get specific…

1. Confused about what’s to come?  Jehovah-raah – your caring shepherd. Psalms 23 in the original translation says “The Lord my Shepherd”

Ezekiel 34: 11-16 “‘For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep? I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice."

2. If you are anxious because you are lacking – food is scarce – the bills are too many – go to Jehovah-jireh – the Lord who provides.  Gen 22:1-14 tells about Abraham & Isaac – the Lord required a sacrifice – He commanded Abraham to take Isaac and offer him up – at the end of this passage we read :

When they arrived at the place where God had told him to go, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood on it. Then he tied his son, Isaac, and laid him on the altar on top of the wood. And Abraham picked up the knife to kill his son as a sacrifice. At that moment the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!” “Yes,” Abraham replied. “Here I am!” “Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel said. “Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.” Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a thicket. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering in place of his son. Abraham named the place Yahweh-Yireh (which means “the Lord will provide”).

3. Are you sick – in body, mind or spirit – call on Jehovah-rophe – the Lord who heals!

Psalms 103:1-5 Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.   Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me.   He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases.  He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies.  He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s!

4. Are you stressed – is life overwhelming – are you not sleeping – cry out to Jehovah-shalom – the Lord is peace!  

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!

5. Do you feel like a soldier trapped behind enemy lines?  Take refuge in Jehovah-nissi – the Lord is my banner.   Do you get the picture there?  I didn’t at first!  You are trapped – think of the corn maze – you see no way out – only tall corn – blocking your vision – then you see it – the flag lifted high – something to walk toward – something to focus on – the lighthouse – if you will – in the ocean!

Exodus 17:8 - 16 tells the story of another one of God's miracles. The Israelites were at war with the Amalekites. Moses told Joshua to choose some men to go with him the field to fight while he, Moses, would stand at the top of the hill with the staff of God in his hands. So Joshua went off to fight and Moses, with his brother Aaron, and Hur went to the top of the hill to watch the battle. While the battle raged, Moses held the staff of God above his head in both hands as his appeal to God for help and enablement. As long as he held up his hands, the Israelites were winning but when he lowered his hands - a sign of lack of trust in God - the Amalekites would advance. When Moses grew tired, and couldn’t hold the staff up any longer, Aaron and Hur stood on either side of him and help him to hold up his arms. So together they held his hands steady until sunset. Joshua and the Israelite army overcame the Amalekites. God had made it clear by the use of the banner that the victory was His.

6. Are you in need vindication? Lean on the Redeemer.  He will clear your name like nobody’s business!  The definition of Redeemer is kinsman, revenger, avenger, ransom, deliver, purchase, to redeem from slavery, to redeem land, to exact vengeance, to redeem individuals from death.
Jesus came to deliver us, to redeem us from slavery, to redeem us from death. He paid the price as our Redeemer, and purchased our salvation with His own blood. He was our ransom. There was a price that had to be paid, and He paid it. He paid it with His own life. He chose to die, that we might live. He was also our avenger, meaning He took our vengeance upon Himself, the very vengeance that was meant for you and me, the vengeance we ourselves deserved, yet were spared of.

7. Is the enemy on your tail?  Run to the Strong Tower – think of the castle with the high walls and guards all around it – that is where the Strong Tower is!  It is safe there!  

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.
God is all we need – ALL – I have only hit on a few today – there is so much more in the Word – if you don’t know – you can’t claim it – you can’t “use” it.  Get in the Word – learn about the names – call on them!

Let’s do it now – if you have needs we want to pray for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment