Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Highest Goal

New Year - setting new goals, revisiting old goals

A goal is so much more than a measurable outcome.  It is a destination, marked by steps.  It is an inner motivation and drive, serving as your mission, your purpose, the standard by which you base all the rest of your life's decisions, behaviors, and actions.

What are your life goals?

Five Biblical Lessons About Goals

1.      Don't base your personal goals on trying to winning the approval of others.
a.      Galatians 1:10 Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.
b.      1 Thessalonians 2:4 For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.

2.      Every goal we make should involve pleasing God.
a.      2 Corinthians 5:9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him.
b.      Hebrews 11:6 And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.
c.       Romans 14:17-18 For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.  If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too.

3.      Let your life reflect your goals and values
a.      1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others.
b.      Hypocrisy & futility

4.      Don't be discouraged by setbacks, but keep on moving forward.
a.      Philippians 3:12-14 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
b.      "Giving up on your goal because of one setback is like slashing your three other tires because you have a flat."

5.      Let LOVE be your highest goal - loving God and the people He created.
a.      1 Corinthians 14:1 Let love be your highest goal!
b.      1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.  If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

Acres of Hope Christian Fellowship Mission & Goals:

The mission of Acres of Hope Christian Fellowship is to help people find Christ and grow in Him.

We do this by endeavoring to love God and to love others, serving and ministering to them in Christian love, and to obey the Great Commission.

Pastors and Elders Mission & goals -

1 Peter 5:2-3 Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.

"Our greatest fear should not be fear of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." - Francis Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment